SharePoint Server 2016 and Office Online Server support TLS 1.2 connection encryption by default so you can disable all old protocols safely.
Workflow Manager supports SSL 3.0 (It’s recommended to disable it) and TLS 1.0 but it can communicate with SharePoint through TLS 1.2
Learn about the most important new features in SharePoint Server 2016 as following :
It is a set of predefined server roles, newly introduced in SharePoint Server 2016. SharePoint will automatically configure the services based on the server’s role. The performance of the farm is optimized based on that topology
The name “apps for SharePoint” is changing to “SharePoint Add-ins”.
SharePoint Add-ins are self-contained extensions of SharePoint websites that you create, and that run without custom code on the SharePoint server
To patch a server in a SharePoint Server 2016 farm by using Zero Downtime Patching
Fast Site Collection Creation
Fast Site Collection Creation is a new capability in SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview that improves Site Collection creation performance by reducing Feature activation overhead
Project Server 2016 installer is fully integrated into SharePoint 2016
The Project Server 2016 installer is fully integrated into SharePoint 2016—a separate installer no longer needs to be run on each server in the farm
Finally , check this link for more details about new and improved features in SharePoint Server 2016
Do you remember Office Web Apps in SharePoint 2013 , Microsoft changed its name to Office Online Server but it doesn’t mean this is not on premises.
As Office web apps , You can View and Create/Edit (need a license) the following documents types:
This product is not only for SharePoint , you can use it with other Microsoft products like exchange , Skype , .. and that’s why it needs a separate server.
Also it provides your search preview feature and mandatory for SharePoint 2016 BI.
For more information https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/04/office-online-server-now-available/
Learn about the MinRole feature in SharePoint Server 2016 and the services that are associated with each server role type :
The good news that you don’t need to know where to provision the services , SharePoint 2016 know where to provision them , for examples :
- If you have frontend and application roles servers and you want to create Access Database Service 2010 then SharePoint 2016 will start the service in frontend server only even if you created from Application server using power shell or Central administrator
- If you have fronted and application roles servers and you want to create Business Connectivity Service then SharePoint 2016 will start the service in frontend and application servers even if you created from Application server only using power shell or Central administrator
Learn about the tested performance and capacity limits of SharePoint Server 2016 and how limits relate to acceptable performance :
The most important :
- 20 Web applications per farm
- 750000 Site collections per farm
- 250000 Sites per site collection
- 10 Application pools per web server
- 500 Content databases per farm
- 4 TB per content database